Monday, 14 August 2017

Modern Living




"Modern life has bought much that is complex, but a well-organised home with right ideals will be run so as to plan the spending of the family income to best advantage of all and to consider the spiritual as well as the material needs of the family." 

Do you too, believe that modern life has bought  much that is complex?  Would it surprise you to know that this quote is from a book published in 1913?  Shelter and Clothing: A textbook of the Household Arts by Helen Kinne and Anna Maria Cooley, was written for high school girls. The authors of the book went on to write that simplicity of living adds to the freedom and independence of a family. This freedom and independence is due in part to avoiding the trap of keeping up with the Joneses. 


In our modern times we have even more 'things' that can rob us of our freedom and independence. Some are inexpensive but add up over time, for example a daily take away coffee. It has been said that we can nickel and dime our way to poverty. That is because small unnecessary expenditures can have a big impact on our annual budgets. Other things such as overseas holidays and new cars can be very expensive  - too expensive if they are things we cannot afford. 

Take away coffees, unnecessary new clothes, overseas holidays and new cars are not bad things in themselves. If however they are not affordable then they can add much to the complexity of our lives. 


My aim is to simplify my life.  To live within my means. Simple, healthy food. Simple, old fashioned entertainment and pastimes. Simple hospitality. 





12 comments:

  1. I am uncertain about this - I am thankful to be able to turn a light switch on or press the button on the washer for instance......but

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for our modern conveniences. Living in the sub-tropics would be so hard without refrigeration for instance. What originally struck me about that quote was that the authors were commenting on the complexities of modern life and yet many today look back on the early part of the 20th century as a time less complex and less stressful.

      Delete
  2. I grew up with the saying: "Pay as you go or don't go."

    I am 80 years of age. I still like that saying.

    Courage to all of us, who try to live a simple life.

    Let us know, that this is the way to contentment.

    Yes!

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need the Joneses to tempt me to spend money. Our own desires for improving our property will do that, lol. So I have to strike a balance between doing each stage we can afford, and then being content with the bits in between. Which isn't that hard, but I have to remind myself of the "balance" to keep me focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything you have mentioned in your comment resonates with me Chris. I have to keep reminding myself it is about the journey and not the destination and to be more mindful of allowing things to unfold rather than trying to force things along.

      Delete
  4. Simple, basic and not getting get up in all the modern day jazz makes me feel so happy and gives me a real spring to my step. I love the simple life so much.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think many of us could probably look back to our childhoods or the days of our grandparents and feel those times were somehow simpler. I grew up in the 70s, when there were no computers and mobile phones, two forms of technology that I think have benefits but also bring many challenges and complications. I love the simple life we are crafting here. I'm always looking for ways to make it more so but I'm happy with the changes so far and the greater contentment I feel. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also we have so much choice just in phone companies. When I was growing up if you wanted a phone connected you just called Telecom, as they were the only service provider. They came out and connected your phone, and once connected you simply had two functions answer the phone and dial out to make a call. There was only one option for electricity. No evaluating should we go solar, completely off grid or choose a different service provider. Which bank? Which super? Which investments? The lists go on. So many things to consider and evaluate. I wonder how complex society can become before it comes to a point where the average person just cannot manage the complexity of it all?

      Delete
  6. My mother used to say something similar to what Luna mentioned...If you can't afford it do without!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good old fashioned sense Chel isn't it?

      Delete