Monday, 24 July 2017

Haste Makes Waste

"Haste makes waste no less in life than in housekeeping."  
~ Henry David Thoreau


Do you agree that haste makes waste in housekeeping? Lack of time certainly affects my ability to prevent and manage waste. Is that the case with you? 

This week my menu plan consists of the following:-

Monday ~ Corn, Potato and Chicken Chowder
Tuesday ~ Leftovers
Wednesday ~ Mustard silver-side potato bake
Thursday ~ Leftovers
Friday ~ Toasties
Saturday ~ Spaghetti Bolognese
Sunday ~ Leftovers

As you can see we don't mind leftovers in our household. Eating leftovers frees us from cooking every day. I am also hoping to do a bit of baking during the week as well. 

Other tasks I would like to work on or complete this week include:

  • Make another batch of soup and sauce mix
  • Start another compost heap
  • Transplant some volunteer lettuce seedlings
  • Clean and store some tomato seeds
  • Collect some snow pea seeds
  • Sow more veggie seeds
  • Start knitting a scarf

What are your plans for the week? 

5 comments:

  1. We love leftovers here! They often become lunch the next day which saves us money. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using leftovers are a good way of saving money. I become annoyed with myself if I find food in the fridge that needs to be thrown out, because I forgot to use it up.

      Delete
  2. Big leftover lovers here. I make a point of checking the fridge each morning to make sure everything is used. For example I have a small amount of sour cream left which I saw this morning. I will have it used in time.
    Leftovers and freezing are wonderful.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not planning to do much this week since I had chemo today. I'll just do what I can and rest in between. I take the first week very easy. I do more the second week, then the third I'm more like myself. Just one more chemo cycle when this one's done. I look forward to fall for a whole different reason this year!
    Be blessed,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage


    P.S. Here's the reply to your comment on my blog.
    If you send me your email, I can reply directly.

    Sherri, You've encouraged me so much. Thank you for taking time to share your story. I'll be over to visit your blog in a few minutes. I receive that blessing!
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one more treatment to go? That is wonderful. Resting is the best thing for you at the moment Laura. When I was having treatment I had mabthera on day one which is (from memory) what is termed a biological therapy and was given through my port-a-cath. The following day my chemo started and I had mix of oral (tablet) chemo and intravenous chemo. The oral chemo was a huge dose of a steroid and I had to take it over several days. During those days I was the queen of housekeeping and baking. I did not walk through my house, I trotted everywhere. But in the days after chemo I crashed and would spend my time shuffling from bed to the couch and back. I couldn't even hold a conversation as talking took more energy than I had at that time. If my husband asked me what I wanted for dinner I wanted to cry because it took so much of my energy to answer. Over time I had the foresight to explain to him that I didn't mean to be terse or short when he wanted to talk it was that I literally felt like I was going to pass out when I was trying to talk. It is such a learning curve we go through when we are having this type of treatment. I reminded myself often that it was a process and that I could do it day by day.

      Delete