Monday, 8 May 2017

In My Garden ~ May 2017

In General
 The weather has been beautiful the last few weeks. I have been weeding, establishing new seedlings, creating new beds and making compost.

The mulberry and cumquat (Citrus japonica) trees are the only plants fruiting at the moment.




I applied blood and bone and sulphate of potash as well as compost to my mandarin and lemon trees last month. They are both in need of skirting and opening up in the middle. I have lots of fruit on the mandarin tree though I don't know how good it is going to be considering the long dry period we had prior to cyclone Debbie.

We have a grapefruit tree that is in need of some TLC. However I would like to see the plant removed. Don wants to keep it. We don't eat grapefruit and no one we know wants any grapefruit when harvest time comes. Could it be that people actually like the idea of eating grapefruit rather than the actual practice of eating grapefruit? Everyone tells me to keep the tree, but no one wants the fruit. I can't see the point of wasting time and money looking after the tree if we have no use for it.

Planting
I have a new hibiscus plant, salvia seedlings, dianthus seedlings and a blueberry bush I want to plant out. The blueberry bush is going into a large pot near the outdoor area.

I would also like to plant out some more lettuce seedlings toward the middle of the month.

I would like to prepare a new garden bed ready to plant some tomato seeds or seedlings. Also I would like to plant some comfrey seeds next to my compost bins.

I have two pots containing turmeric. I am on the watch so when the leaves die back I know it is time to harvest the turmeric. I will be replanting healthiest looking roots/tubers after digging plenty of compost through the soil. As a matter of fact I could get busy on preparing the planting spots now.

Turmeric in pots


Pruning
As mentioned I need to prune my lemon and mandarin tree.

Watering
Passion fruit needs less water this month. The Lychee needs to be monitored and watered as needed - it doesn't like to dry out.

Our passionfruit needs less water now.


Fertilising
I want to check the pH of the soil around the mango trees. If the pH is 6.0 or more I will add gypsum if the pH is under 6.0 I will add lime.

Pest and disease management
Lychees - I will check for enrose mite and spray with wettable sulphur if needed
Mango trees - I need to spray with a copper based spray to combat anthracnose. We had almost no mangoes last year but that was due to the weather rather than the health of the trees.

Thanksgiving.
 Australia has thanksgiving day in May. I will pause and give thanks for my burgeoning garden. 

21 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the last Saturday in May the National Day of Thanks. Despite Australia's indistinct Christian roots and the fact that we are internationally not rated as a christian country probably is why it has a largely secular flavour for many - nevertheless, there is heaps to be thankful for in this wonderful country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Here is one of my reasons for thanksgiving from today. We have quite a long driveway and of an afternoon when I am arriving home from work my husband walks down the driveway to open the gate and close it behind me so I don't have to get out of the car. How lucky am I!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. Why take up space and work involved, on a grapefruit tree??? When no one wants the fruit?!?

    Happy Thanksgiving! It is good to be reminded, of the 2 Hemispheres. I live in the Northern, and forget about the Southern. Thank you for reminding me!!!!!!

    We humans. We need lots of reminders, don't we? -smile-

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we sure do need lots of reminders.

      Delete
  3. Sherri our mulberries won't be fruiting for some time and our mandarins are still green. You do sound organised with your garden plans I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I only have to remember to work through my job list. As Luna Crone says we need lots of reminders.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking even better now. I think my husband was just waiting for me to go back to work before he tackled some of the big garden jobs. Every day he has done more tidying and clearing up around the place.

      Delete
  5. Oh, mulberries! How lovely to have a tree of your own, Sherri. I don't eat grapefruit but am wondering if there are recipes where you could make use of them?? Maybe grapefruit marmalade?? Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have thought of grapefruit marmalade but we also have another citrus tree that we could possibly use for marmalade. I just can't remember at the moment what type of citrus I think it is.

      Delete
  6. Always busy there in your garden Sherri. I often feel like I'm chasing my tail, weeding, composting, cutting back, replanting, etc but it's the best thing for keeping fit in body, mind and soul. I feel very envious of your mangoes and lychees. Oh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's wait to see if I get any fruit this year before you become too envious. We didn't have any lychees last year and only one or two mangoes. I think strange weather has been the problem.

      Delete
  7. I wish we were neighbors--I LOVE grapefruit and yes--I actually eat it!
    I see your point about caring for something that gives nothing in return. Perhaps you need to find a substitute that your hubby would be in agreement??

    Sounds like you do indeed have much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we could just pass them over the fence to you.

      I am hoping that we can replace it with something that is more useful for us.

      Delete
  8. I know I commented here.

    But guess you have not checked you comments yet, and published it.

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Luna I have been struggling to find time to visit the blogosphere this week. I am sorry for being so slow.

      Delete
  9. We get our mangoes from a neighbours trees. There's usually more than enough but last year there were hardly any. This year the tree is looking so much better. We live in hope. The same goes for another neighbours Reed Avocado. This is usually a prolific fruiting tree. Not this last season. However it is now covered in flowers so we will see. I love having neighbours who share the abundance. I try and make sure veg goes over the fence on a regular basis so that I can have access to the fruits.
    I am unsure of how to grow turmeric. Did you buy the tuber from anywhere special or did you get one to grow from the fruit and veg shop? Is it best to grow them in pots or can they grow in the ground?
    Enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone was telling me today that their mango tree has already started flowering and they have two small fruit growing. I guess it is possible that the fruit and flowers will be lost as it seems a bit early in the season for them.

      Someone bought some turmeric tubers into work and I planted some of those. I think they came out of another persons garden. I think they are best grown in the ground, and I think they prefer a shady spot.

      Delete
  10. Have I posted a comment already, and it hasn't been published yet? I can't remember if I did comment, or not. If so, you can publish both. :)

    We were fortunate to get one last flush of mulberries on our tree, just before the sun started to shift away. That will be it until next spring. Our kumquats won't be ready to eat though, until early June - just when cold season arrives. We love to eat the kumquats, as our natural vitamin c tablets.

    Your plants look lovely and so green. Good luck with your lychee. It would be great if you could get some fruit. They're so delicious! I tried to grow one here, but we're just too dry. I've got my eye on a loquat instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris I didn't have another comment from you waiting for publishing. I know what you mean though, I sometimes can't remember if I have commented on a blog or not. Lychees are so good aren't they? I recently visited a local winery that makes fruit wines and liquors. We did a tour of the orchard and I tasted a panama berry, which I now like even more than lychees.

      Delete
  11. You sound like you have it all under control, well done. I just applied lime for the first time a week ago as the PH level was too low. I really need to improve our compost as I think that is the main culprit.

    I love turmeric for it's taste, hotness and health benefits.

    Enjoy your lovely garden.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete