Thursday, 5 January 2017

Ringing in the New Year


Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'It will be happier.'  ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson



A new year comes with the promise of gifts as yet unopened.

In the New Year turns my mind to I improvement. Improvement of self, of home of life. Do you feel this way at the start of a new year?

Going to bed earlier is something I want to do this year.

My new year's resolution is perhaps one of the simplest though one of the most difficult to keep - to enjoy life. Someone shared the comment on my blog last year that time spent doing what you love is never wasted. According to researchers the body has a chemical response to joy.




 In order to keep my energy levels up so that I can pursue pastimes I enjoy I intend to go to bed early enough to give me 7 to 8 hours sleep a night and to walk for around 30 minutes four to five times a week.  Aches and pains and an over active mind can stop me falling asleep. A light snack before going to bed helps many drift off to sleep. For me a glass of milk or a cup of chamomile tea can help. Milk is said to speed tryptophan to the brain where it is converted to serotonin. Years ago a work colleague gave me a going to sleep tip that works really well, when sleep is avoiding me. I close my eyes and just watch the patterns behind my eyelids at play. Try it, it works for me and it might work for you too. I also spray my pillowcase with a lavender scent to help me drift off to lavendered sleep.

Do you have any New Year's Resolutions? What are they?



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, Sherri! In the winter when I'm not as active, sometimes I have problems falling asleep. Best of luck with your resolutions!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I too, know a person, who uses that, to go to sleep... "close my eyes and just watch the patterns behind my eyelids at play."

    Which is a lot like meditation, which says to relax, concentrate on your breath, and just watch the ideas, which race through your mind. Don't do anything about the ideas, just see them come and go.

    I don't think I could ever really master either, but.... It does work, for some.

    To concentrate on enjoying life. So simple. Yet, so hard, at times. Oh yes, it's easy, when everything is going smoothly. But when difficulties arise, it gets harder.

    But common sense says... We gain nothing, by worry. Or by self-pity. Or by concentrating on the "bad stuff."

    Ahhhh yes, common sense. It isn't always so "common" though, is it?

    Best wishes to you, for following your wise plan!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course it is to enjoy life when things are going well. It will be a challenge when going through difficulties. I will have to remember to count my blessings daily which will help to remind me there are things to enjoy most days.

      Delete
  3. Sherri I am a bit of a night owl and go to bed later. Then I wake up at 2am as nature calls and often can't get back to sleep. I think if i slept the whole night through I wouldn't be able to move in the morning :-) The joys of getting older. I have decided this year to just finish things off that I have started and not to start a lot of new projects....just a couple like the mosiac paver we are doing on the DTE forum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find when I am an holidays that I ache less when I wake up in the morning. I agree with you too, that if one has to take a short walk in the night it can mean less stiffness in the morning.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sherri, thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog about the Jam Jar idea - I think its wonderful too & am definately going to try it myself this year. Your blog is lovely ... shall come back & have a longer read when time allows ... have a great weekend Sherri & thanks again. Julie :-) (p.s. I think your resolution to enjoy life more is simply perfect!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I already have my jar set up.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Sherri. I didn't make resolutions as such, I wrote a list of the things I'm looking forward to. Many of those things already happen in my life but there are a few that I can "flesh out" some more like deciding exactly which new skills I want to learn. I find this kind of list gives me a lot of flexibility.

    My boy can sometimes have a lot of trouble falling asleep. One thing we do with him is to get him to visualise that he is taking Sir Steve dog for a long walk around the familiar paths of our neighbourhood. This helps as he's walked these paths before, it's easy for him to see that in his mind and he finds that sleep then comes easier. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of helping your son wind down and go to sleep.

      Delete
  6. As far as resolutions are concerned, I'm keeping my options open. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you. I know you will find plenty to do and achieve a lot no matter whether you have set a New Year's resolution or not.

      Delete
  7. No....I just have to hang in there for another 3 exhausting months of 4.15am rises and 7pm arriving home. I'll be glad when it finishes and I will be able to start living again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little longer and it will be something you can put behind you and leave in the past. Take care in the meantime.

      Delete