Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Zest for Life

Having a zest for life means living with a hearty sense of enjoyment.  Today's Wednesday wisdom is an extract from the poem The Great Lover by Rupert Brooke.

Sweet water's dimpling laugh from tap or spring;
Holes in the ground; and voices that do sing:
Voices in laughter, too; and body's pain,
Soon turned to peace; and the deep-panting train;
Firm sands; the little dulling edge of foam
That browns and dwindles as the wave goes home;
And washen stones, gay for an hour; the cold
Graveness of iron; moist black earthen mould;
Sleep; and high places; footprints in the dew;
And oaks; and brown horse-chestnuts, glossy-new;
And new-peeled sticks; and shining pools on grass;—
All these have been my loves.


What are the simple things that you enjoy keenly? Why not make a list of those things? I am going to, so I can carry the list into the new year










8 comments:

  1. Blue blue skies, fluffy snowflakes,the smell of a wood fire in the wood stove, soft warm beds, for starts!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fluffy snowflakes! That would be something to see for sure. I have never seen the snow.

      Delete
  2. Sunrises, flowers, a hot cup of tea and lots of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful words, Sherri. Simple pleasures for me are things like the sound of rain drumming on a roof, my bare feet on the grass and in the soil of the garden, watching my busy bees, the gurgling giggle of my son, the smell of vanilla and the feel of Sir Steve's dog's extra soft, floppy ears. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floppy, soft dog ears. I miss that. Like you, a lot of the things on my list are sounds - birds in the garden, bees humming, dogs playing, and rain of course is one of my favourite sounds.

      Delete
  4. Sherri I have hardly thought about 2107. I'd better get my skates on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chel, its only a few days away now.

      Delete