Monday, 19 December 2016

Order and Closure



“It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn't matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over.” 


At the end of an old year we start thinking about resolutions for the New Year, new goals, and fresh takes on our dreams and aspirations.  This is all to the good as it helps us to commit to gain the most out of our lives, and establish a framework  for our New Year. I also think it is important to spend some time taking stock, looking back on the year that was and see how we have changed and grown. To spend some time acknowledging the person setting forth on the 2017 leg of the journey may not be exactly the same person that set forth back in January 2016.

What were the lessons learnt about yourself and your world  during the year? What goals did you achieve? Take the time to acknowledge these things now, before rushing headlong into the new year. If it is true that where our attention goes results show, then surely it is befitting  to look for the positive in these areas, even if we have to turn things around in our minds to achieve this.

Looking back over the past year, celebrating the good, and releasing the emotional toll of life's more difficult lessons is something I do most years.



In 2012 I wrote regarding the lesson I learned for that year, "After wearing a splint because of tenosynovitis and then spending weeks exercising and strengthening my right thumb and wrist and enduring incredible pain to heal the problem, I know that I can do whatever it takes - I am up to the challenge. "

Regarding the goals achieved in 2012 I wrote: 
Renovations. 
We bought a small tractor and finishing mower. 
I gained my Diploma of Community Development.

If I had not taken the time to acknowledge these things in writing, I would not remember them. (Sad but true.)  If someone were to say to me what were you doing in 2012, I would probably reply, same as usual - going to work during the week and working on the property on the week end. Nothing special. However in just re-reading those few sentences I penned at the end of 2012 I can recall to mind  the pain  I went through; and feel the feelings of achievement at finally having our own tractor; and feeling the feeling of success that went with gaining my Diploma of Community Development. I can acknowledge that 2012 was in fact one whizz bang, action packed year in which I did a lot more than just go to work and pay bills. I know that in 2012 I gained experience, insight, knowledge and equipment that were all stepping stones on my path to today.


So for me closure is another important tool for creating order, as I cannot establish where I am going until I can acknowledge, (even if it is to only myself) where I have been. 

14 comments:

  1. This shows the value of Journaling, in any form. The ability, in the future, to look back and really see the important things. Without such a prompt, we would have a tendency to just lump a year, all in together.

    I don't make New Year's Resolutions. And I have not really looked back, to tally up accomplishments, etc. The older I get, I try to simply go with the flow. Not mindlessly of course! There are things we can do.

    But there are also things, we can't direct. And for many things, going with the flow, is the smoothest way. For me. Not for everyone. For me.

    Thank you for this thought provoking post.

    Joys of This Lovely and Magical Season, to you!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kept journals for many years, though looking back the content is mostly quotes and ideas generated from the books I have been reading. I think going with the flow is a good idea. For me the important thing is to be sure I am going with my own flow and not riding someone else's. But the idea of being in my own boat just gently going with the flow is definitely an attractive one.

      Delete
  2. I never thought of closure as being part of moving forward, Sherri. Thank you for the food for thought. This week I begin my New Years resolutions, as I'm finished with all the Christmas celebrating and can just focus on what's important.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new year is not that far away now Jane, and part of me is caught slightly off guard by that.

      Delete
  3. This post got me thinking about a man I recently looked after in hospital who had a fat journal in front of him. I asked him about it, and it was a diary...one day to a page...in which he wrote down EVERYTHING he did EVERY DAY.

    I was flabbergasted at the thought of doing that consistently, he proceeded to ask me my birth date, I told him, then he flicked back to February in his diary and read back to me exactly what he had done that day. He had bought a mower, did some gardening, some reading, and gave his wife $100!

    As he read it out he really did recall it, and added other little details, which were not in the diary!

    At first I thought how OCD!!! But after I mulled over it for a while, it dawned on me what a precious gift he is giving himself. If not only from a practical point of view e.g. keeping notes on last mower service for example, but from a memory perspective, it feels to me like he was capturing time!

    I'm seriously thinking about doing a similar thing now. Lord knows I can barely remember what I did yesterday! So all told this could be a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people use a similar journaling technique. I have done it myself occasionally. To me it is like a 're-hydration' of a day that is otherwise forgotten. By re hydrating I mean the day that is otherwise forgotten and lost to time is restored to memory.

      Delete
  4. I haven't done that as yet, Sherri although I was asking myself the other day if I had learned any new skills this year. Making sourdough bread was one thing I learned and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And remember too you have helped others learn how make sourdough bread too. Just look at what Annabel from the Bluebirds are Nesting is baking from the sourdough starter you sent her.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you Sherri. I used to write a long essay to myself every New's Year Eve... yes while others were out partying!! It was incredibly healing and affirming though, to think about my achievements and challenges during the year past. Without doing that, I couldn't have focused clearly on my goals for the coming year. I never live to a plan, but I do believe that goals are important. Nowadays, I tend to flop into bed on NY's eve, and the days seem to take care of themselves. There's still always a goal though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to plan, but use it as guidance and clarification rather than a rigid set of dictates that I must follow. I don't know if my goal setting and planning is personality driven or learned behaviour. Probably a bit of both.

      Delete
  6. And I forgot to mention... congrats on your tractor. Do you ask yourself now, "how did we ever do without it?" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly been an improvement Sally.

      Delete
  7. i learned a new crochet stitch, Bavarian crochet. did my head in at first but now i love it.
    my depression broke back in April & it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride since with the emotions, as one thing that's hard to get here is tradesmen to do work, which gets me down again but am hoping next year will progress a little better, one thing at a time, as they say. i will keep trying.
    hope you have a wonderful xmas & new year
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the tradesman problem would get you down. I know how hard it can be even in urban areas. We hired a painter (a trade qualified painter, not a handyman) to paint our gutters, fascias and eaves in 2014. It has already blistered and peeled away from where he painted at the back of the house. We contacted other painters to quote, most did not bother to get back to us, and the other one that did quoted so much it was patently obvious he did not want the job. Same thing with some fencing we had done this year. Two tradesman did not bother to get back to us however the third business was terrific.

      Delete