Friday, 18 November 2016

The Gardener's Nook




Happiness is a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which, if you sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1804 -1864


I don't know about you but I do need a place to sit down quietly, and rest from my labours in the garden. Several places actually, as I have a large garden and it is nice to have places to escape to out of the heat for a short breather.

We recently purchased a Jack and Jill chair with the intention of setting up a nice, relaxing garden seating area. I am a bit like Anne Shirley when it comes to giving places and areas names, and so have given this area the name of  "Gardener's Nook." Over time I will add bits and pieces to this area. One or two screens, some pot plants, cushions for the chairs, and so on. Currently the area is a bit bare.


This is the west facing view.



This area overlooks the garden area I am in the process of developing. And looking straight ahead into the background area I can view the orchard. Looking to the left is another garden area and beyond the gardens is the dam. To the right is a large water tank which blocks the afternoon sun from the Gardener's Nook.


This is looking straight ahead and beyond into the orchard.

Both this garden area and the Gardener's Nook will be transformed over time. I look forward to sharing the changes with you.

8 comments:

  1. You do have a large property, Sherri. I would like a few 'nooks' too but the mozzies have a few of their own as well so I don't tend to sit outside too much. I would love to have a pretty and relaxing place to sit and just breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have mozzies, midges and horse flies, and even those other little biting insect that can get through the insect screens. We often have our doors and windows closed at night when the lights are on otherwise my husband end up looking like a couple of German slap dancers. Outside I find the mozzies and midges at their worst in the early and late part of the day.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing the transformation, i love a good before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to seeing how you grow it, love your new seat.
    i have one & half acres here too which some days is a struggle to get around, so know how that feels too.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a struggle at times isn't it? At the moment I am wishing, hoping and praying for rain.

      Delete
  4. I think Anne Shirley would approve of a Gardener's Nook, Sherri! Your Jack and Jill chair got me thinking of the settler's chairs, that were a wedding gift from my husband's grandparents, waiting under the house for me to give them a bit of TLC. I need to sand them back and restain them and then figure out how to make new canvas slings for them (that's the part I baulk at cause I am only just learning how to sew). Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figuring out how to make new canvas slings sounds like a job for.....Youtube! Really I think it should be called Supertube. But seriously, I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover there are a few videos on that subject already posted to youtube. I have some bar stools that are still in need of having the seats recovered. I must pop into Spotlight someday soon to pick up some material.

      Delete