Monday, 31 October 2016

R.S.V.P - October 2016




Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment on my blog this month. It is always a thrill to hear from you. I have listed some of my favourite comments from October below.



This comment was from Meg from "A Hopeful Nature"
'My plans for my veggie garden in the coming months is just to grow salad veg (lettuce, cherry tomato, cucumber) because that is what we'll eat a lot of over the warm/hot months. Growing zucchini and spring onion too because we eat a lot of that as well. Currently, I've got Queen Anne's Lace that's flowering ... so pretty! I plant flowers that appeal to me, veg that we eat all the while thinking about how well something will grow in a particular spot. Aren't cosmos wonderful flowers...I like the way they sway in the breeze, how the bees love them, how they intermingle so happily in among veggies.'  


And another comment from Meg 'Hi Sherri. I've just borrowed David Holmgren's book, "Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability" from my local library and what I've read so far is so interesting! 

I do think it's really important to support local businesses so that they remain viable and offer choice within a community. There's a little organic market shop not far from where I live, it's reasonably new and I like to go in and see what they have. One day, I bumped (literally) into a hobby farmer who had brought some of his excess produce into the store for them to sell. Beautiful, fresh, chemical-free peas. Yum! We talked for a while about his hobby farm and what he grew and how he grew it and I came home with some lovely fresh peas at a great price. Little shops like these offer up these kinds of connections for people which I think is a lovely thing. Meg:)'




Sally from "Jembella Farm' wrote,
'Small and slow is the way to go...
I prefer to master one thing and do it properly before marching on to the next big thing. Before we knew it, we had so many things on the go until I looked around and saw that some things were being neglected, so I'm winding back now, to catch up. With organics comes all the added tasks like worm farm, composting, weed teas and liquid manures, which all require added energy. Wouldn't have it any other way though. :) '


Susan from "Simple Cozy Living" wrote, 'Love shopping locally and supporting these hard working business people. I live in a townhouse so there isn't any place for planting anything besides some basil, mint and oregano. However, I live in an area surrounded by farms and dairies and have access to wonderful, chemical free produce and cheese, etc for many months of the year.'

Jane from "Hope and Thrift" left a comment that touched me deeply. 'Since my husband retired I noticed that our lifestyle is much more leisurely, but I think that's a good thing. Time spent doing something you love is never wasted.'

Chris from 'Gully Grove' is always helping and inspiring me regarding Permaculture with her comments on my blog and when she answers my comments on her blog. She wrote this in response to my post "Use Small and Slow Solutions." 'When you're a husband and wife team, working on acreage, I think small and slow solutions are the ONLY way to proceed forwards. There's no other choice. ;)'

9 comments:

  1. Aren't people that comment on blogs wonderful? It's a chance to get know like-minded people. It becomes a community.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Jane it is a chance to get to know like-minded people. Today I interacted with over forty people face to face during the day, and not one conversation touched on any of the subjects that I write about or that I read about on other blogs. The blogging community sure does provide me with the social stimulation that is important to me. And for this I am very grateful.

      Delete
  2. I love reading what other people share in relation to permaculture too, because there are so many ways to interpret what it teaches. So I was happy to stumble across your blog, and read your thoughts on the journey also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. Your comments and your blog are always providing me with deeper insights regarding the practical application of permaculture.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Jane. It is just lovely when readers comment and you seem to form a connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Chel, and it makes our lives richer.

      Delete
  4. Sherri, I don't often get much time to read other blogs, but oh, when I get a free evening I've been known to burn the midnight oil catching up with yours and my other favorites. Thanks for your generosity of the lovely surprise link. Comments sure do make writing worthwhile, even if it's only a word or two. Crikey, some nights I can hardly string two words together..lol.. and so some of my comments must sound a bit garbled. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Sally? There are some evenings when my eyes are closing as I type and I struggle to find the words I need to express what I want to say. I worry sometimes when my comment is read the blog author will say to themselves 'that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject I wrote about'. Cringe

      Delete
  5. Hi, Sherri. Thank you for your kind links to my blog in this post of yours. I like visiting your blog, and others, where authors and other visitors write about and comment on things I'm interested in and that I want to learn about. It's an online community and my experience thus far has always been a positive one. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete