Thursday, 22 September 2016

Dreams Delayed

"Learn to labor and to wait" ~Longfellow


 One of my favourite authors has written that our dreams always take longer to achieve than we ever expect them to when we start out on our journey toward achieving them.  As a future orientated person I spend time planning and stepping out my future goals and dreams. I am always generous with the amount of time I allow to achieve objectives, but because life is so full, it often takes months longer to achieve goals than I had anticipated. Does this effect my serenity? Oh yes indeed. I work on releasing the frustration so that I feel better in the present, but I often wonder why does it take us so long to achieve my dreams?





Sometimes I worry that my dreams will never fully manifest. Such doubt is really quite dangerous. Not only can it make me feel despondent it puts me at risk of giving up. I stop to remind myself that many people lose what they don't have; those things they are aiming for and dreaming about; because they have not learned to grab hold of those thoughts of doubt and wrestle them to the ground.  In short they give up.

Then there are the other background mind noises. The "if only" thoughts, that can easily replace serenity with mild melancholia.  If only I had walked away earlier on from those relationships and situations that were hindering me.  If only I had met my husband sooner. And so on. But spending time in the land of regret will not help me be present with all today's wonderful possibilities.




My ego sits like a child in the back seat of the car, asking: 'Are we there yet?' No. "Are we there yet?" No. "How long until we are there?" We will be there when we arrive. "Are we theeerrreee yyyyeeet?." Sheesh that takes a lot of emotional energy to deal with.

Waiting upon our dreams is one of life's universal themes. I am not the only person to have struggled with holding fast my purpose whilst waiting for my delayed dreams to arrive. I won't let delayed dreams steal my energy, I hope  you don't let them steal yours either.


8 comments:

  1. I can relate to this. Thankfully, I am becoming more aware it's a waste of energy to worry about things unfulfilled. Every day is a victory, even if it requires taking a step back. Because sometimes that's precisely what it takes to get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes worry is always a waste of energy. I mostly try to channel the worry energy into creative endeavors.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sherri - you and I both!

    But you know what - I think you have the answer already....and remember to enjoy the moment. The only true reality is right here and now - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, enjoying the moment is the way to live. And when there are times where this is hard to achieve I can always stop and find things for which to be grateful.

      Delete
  3. I think though, we learn the most interesting things on the detours. Often we learn a lot about ourselves, and then that helps us to move further with our dreams you know? Like when we get back on track our goals are more resolute, our picture clearer.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma that is so true, even though the detours are frustrating it is through them that we often grow into the person we need to be to take hold of the dream we want. What I mean is that it is often not the circumstances that need to change but the person holding the dream that needs to change in order to able to bring the dream to fruition. A wiser person that I could express this much better.

      Delete
  4. Funnily enough Sherri, I have just written in my latest post about David Holmgren's Principle 9...use small and slow solutions...in other words, slow and steady wins the race! I too have to exercise patience and stop the "if onlys" from rearing their ugly heads. I love the "are we there yet" reference...boy do I know how you feel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I am in good company! :-)

      Delete