Sunday, 7 August 2016

Bringing home the bacon and the journey to home


"The little road says go, the little house says stay: And O, it's bonny here at home…. "  ~The House and the Road by Josephine Preston Peabody



I feel my whole life has been a journey to home. From the time I started attending school the only place I really wanted to be was at home. Home is my sanctuary. It's my place of belonging, and my place of spirit and creativity.  Life's circumstances has meant for me, as it has for the vast majority that I need to earn an income. To bring home the bacon.

This is the first in a new series of posts that I will add to from time to time. I have called the series 'Bringing Home the Bacon'. I started this series as a way to comfort myself, because working outside the home I have less time to  spend following my 'soul purpose'. I will explain what I mean by soul purpose.

Do you have dreams? Something that you have yearned for, but seems to take you along a different path from everyone else in your life? Do you feel unfulfilled and have a strong intuition that if that thing you yearned for showed up in your life then you would be living your life as it was meant to be lived? That your day to day life would be an expression of yourself? That your outward life would match your inner ideals, values and vision? Soul purpose is living true to yourself,  knowing what it is that you were born to do.


An average day at home is better than a terrific day at work.


I am so grateful for the skills and gifts I have developed throughout my working life. My work over the years has shaped my perspectives and in part made me the person I am today. And the person I am today is someone I like very much.

I have been  lucky to have worked over the years in very good jobs with some good mentors. I currently work in a job that would be the ideal job of many. I have helped many, many, people and worked on interesting community projects.  However a core truth of my being is that an average day at home is better than a terrific day at work.  I want to be home working on things there but circumstances being what they are I need to be at work doing something else. This sometimes leads to me feeling that my life is fragmented.

Sometimes I can make things harder for myself than they need to be and my feeling of living a fragmented life is a perception of mind. It might be a perception shared by many, but it is still a perception.  As Shakespeare wrote "things are neither good or bad it is just our thinking makes it so."  So I am going to stop (as much as possible,) being a Mrs Complaineypants and start viewing my life as richly multifaceted rather than fragmented.

Making Haven


Before I started my blog I thought long and deeply about naming my blog "Making Haven". I knew that it wasn't a name that was exactly self-explanatory. So here is what "Making Haven" means to me.

It is firstly about my efforts to make my home a haven. So in that aspects it is about the changes we make here to create our little farmlet; how we make it a self-supporting home.

Secondly and just as importantly to me is the feeling that I am on the journey toward making a safe harbour, or reaching haven.

Thirdly as I work toward becoming more of a producer and less of a consumer in my life my home increasingly becomes a haven of making.


I don't know if the foregoing makes any real sense for others, or even grammatically but that is what it means to me.

15 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean. I love being at home and there is no other place I would rather be, but I also have to work. The good and the bad is that I get three months off in the summer (teaching at a small college), so I get the joy of being home in my element, but it makes it so hard to go back to work. That happens in two weeks and I am already dreading the reality of working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Julie how having to return to work after such a nice long time at home in your own element would cause your emotions to start churning.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I so hear you Sherri. I yearn for home. I could gleefully click the front gate shut and never emerge for a million years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is just how I feel Mr HM

      Delete
  3. Yes it makes sense to me, Sherri. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. I guess Dorothy Gale summed it up when she said "There's no place like home."

      Delete
  4. There has always been a big difference between a house and a 'home'. A home is a sanctuary of safety where one is able to be their true self, where children can grow without criticism of who they are or want to be. It is a private world. It reflects our value system. It not only envelops us, but can provide for all of our needs. It is functional, sustainable to not only people but to all of the creatures that interact with it. Yes, I too count the days where I can be here full time, to do all the things I've dreamed about doing, to make the envelop that surrounds me one that is integrated with nature and with my needs and values.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, thank you for such a heartfelt and thoughtful comment. It is encouraging to know that others feel the same as I do about home.

      Delete
  5. When we can feel that our home is our haven, we have achieved what so many people yearn for. Our haven, and the things in it, may not be the latest, newest, shiniest, but it feels just right to us. It feels comfortable, and it feels pleasing to be in. This is when we know that an average day at home feels better than a terrific day at work. However, to achieve this perspective, we need those days at work to be able to appreciate those days at home. As I age, I'm lucky to be able to have less days at work and more days at home, but I'm not quite ready for every day at home. Maybe I fear losing that appreciation for my days at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diversity is good for us too Sally, I feel after being at home for the last 4 years with children I had got to a point where the change in my life is just what I needed. Home has its sweet spot in my heart again. :)

      xx

      Delete
    2. Sally when I think of the homes I have been a visitor in the past it has not been the showy impressive homes I have admired the most but the cosy, comfortable, homes displaying good old fashioned virtues, like forehandedness and genuine hospitality that have always pleased me most. I agree too, that contrast is important in life, it is hard to appreciate the peace and productivity at home if we never venture forth.

      Delete
  6. I completely understand your "soul work". mine too is a combination of things. I love to be at home, to be with the children. But having just stepped back into work, into a job that is very much my "soul work" for just 8hrs a week plus study I feel I have re-gained part of "myself".

    I feel challenged and inspired, and it makes coming home to potter about all the sweeter.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not to say being at home is not challenging and inspiring. It certainly is and I have loved my time to be at home with the little ones, but this new season is lovely too. :) It brings me a fresh perspective, which has been a surprising treat.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a young poet Mattie Stephanek, who in one of his poems wrote (and this has stayed with me many years) 'we are a mosaic of gifts'. It is only natural that we need different stages or theaters where we can bring forth those gifts.

      Delete
    2. What a perfect description! I love it.

      xx

      Delete