Sunday, 10 July 2016

On the Home Front






"As much as we love our house, housework can and should take a backseat during times when we have set goals to accomplish something specific, and all our energies need to be focused on that project if we intend to succeed."

~Alexandra Stoddard



As much as I hate to face it I have let housework take a back seat; -  so I could focus on my return to work last year, which was more difficult than I can ever describe; and to finish my permaculture course. I needed to focus on these two ventures if I was to succeed in both, and I am happy and relieved to say that I have indeed succeeded.

Now as I look around my home I see that I have walls and ceiling fans to clean. Cupboards and linen closet to organise and a large decluttering to finish.  I am also going to review my routines to see if the way I have been doing things is still the best way for us moving forward. I am sure that there will be some changes but they will probably been small ones.

One change I have made recently is creating a perpetual shopping list on which I have listed groceries we regularly buy. Now I just print the list check it against my menu plan, contents of fridge, pantry and cupboards ticking off the items I need to buy as I go. This has saved me a lot of time. I shred the list once I have completed my shopping and shredded paper work is added to my compost.


Don't worry I am not about to become our households charlady, but in life's revolving cycles there are times for every activity under the sun. I think the time is now for me to focus my energies  for the time being on our home front. 

4 comments:

  1. I went through a stage last year of chronic illness which lasted for just over 12 months and my house fell apart terribly. I mean not hoarders territory but nothing like I would want it to be. I created a master list and slowly but surely I got it done. When I was feeling exhausted or overwhelmed I would just tell myself to do 20 things at a time and go onto the next thing if I could (for example 20 things culled from the garage, 20 things reorganized in the pantry etc) Good luck! Bonnie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie. Breaking tasks down as you did is a very good idea, and I can fit doing 20 things at a time in to my evenings. Which will leave more time on the weekend for tending my garden. I am glad too, that your health has improved.

      Delete
  2. That is a good idea to break jobs down to make them doable. Lots of cleaning to be done around here too even though I am retired. Our old house just gets so dusty. I'd rather be outside though if it is a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather outside over the weekend during the day was just magic. Breaking jobs down into more manageable tasks does make them easier to face.

      Delete