Tuesday, 5 July 2016

In My Garden - July 2016



"Like many others, I believe that the most significant causes of ill health are lack of exercise and inferior food." ~ Peter Cundall

I have just been reading about Peter Cundall's garden, in an old issue of the Organic Gardening magazine (July/August 2010) and how he started out on his acreage property with a bare paddock of impoverished soil.  This makes me pause and reflect on our property with its paddock's of impoverished soil, which in its natural state lacks both nutrients and soil life.

I read on to find that Peter's soil is  a fine, clay-based grey loam, that was well draining though impoverished. My soil is mostly sandy and water repellent. 

I was interested to read when they bought the house and property in 1980 it cost $41 000 and they paid it off in eight months. Now that is no mean feat considering that wages in 1980 were way lower than they are today.

The average summer temperatures in the Tamar Valley where Peter bought his property are about 24 degrees dropping to 15 degrees celsius, at night.  Where I live our winter temperatures are about 22 - 24 degrees during the day and about 9 to 12 at night. So the summer temperature range in that part of the country is roughly the same as our winter. Interesting.



Last month when I wrote "In my garden" we were experiencing a prolonged dry spell. Well as you know the dry spell was well and truly broken. In all our property received 232 mm which was more than enough to fill our tanks and dam. Quite a wondrous total rainfall for the first month of winter which is part of our dry season.




This month in the orchard I would like to apply sulphate of
potash to my mango trees. It is my understanding that this adds potassium which strengthens plant cell walls and helps make the trees resistant to anthracnose.  I will also check the citrus trees for scale and if it is present spray with white oil.

In the veggie garden I am hoping to plant some beetroot, parsnip, silverbeet and lettuce.  I would like to take one or two of my strawberry runners  and plant them on, and separate my garlic chives so I have more growing throughout the garden. 


I am planning on working on this ornamental garden this month; weeding, aerating the soil, light pruning adding some blood and bone, mulching with lucerne and then putting manure pellets  for slow release feeding. I have some ornamental cuttings that I would like to plant out in the garden too. 



I would also like to clear up this area. On our permaculture property plan this spot is going to become a water feature. But at the moment my husband finds it a convenient spot to dump fallen branches. 


What are you planning to do in your garden this month?

8 comments:

  1. I have decided to bu a mulching machine. We have that much material that we can mulch in the garden. I think I could use it easily 3 times a week. I plan to mulch material straight int o the chooks after a month with the chooks it can go on the compost and rot down. I think a mulcher will change the face of our gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are great. We - meaning my husband :-( cause I need to overcome my fear of the mulcher - makes mulch from our pruned banana leaves and the smaller palm tree leaves. It makes so much sense to me to be able to turn a waste product into a garden asset.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've been busy. I fear my garden is pretty much on auto-pilot what with the carpet beetle battle and all. But I did set up some drip irrigation (the old hose variety) for the ornamentals out front and it's made a HUGE difference. It's sooo much easier when you don't have to put so much time and energy into keeping things watered. And my hail house has already saved the vegetable garden once this year. Gotta say, it's really nice to find ways to make the day to day easier. Here's hoping you get a bountiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ecocatlady. We have some irrigation lines installed with sprinklers on short risers, and since we have installed them I have saved a huge amount of time in watering. So installing more throughout the property is another goal. It should also save electricity as well as we won't need to run the pump for as long.

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm drooling at the sight of those mangoes hanging on the tree. I believe that life is good when we have lots of garden plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mangoes are really great tasting, and are my favourite fruit - when they are in season, right now I am loving mandarins. I agree garden plans do make life good.

      Delete
  4. Sherri, I have three big eskys to make into wicking boxes for summer and there is a heap of weeding to be done which needed doing months ago but it was too hot with our extended summer. Now it is too cold with the icy wind blowing but that will pass soon so will have no excuse to get moving then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very interested in your esky wicking boxes Chel. I hope you do a post on them when they are done.

      Delete