Sunday, 26 June 2016

Healthy Eating On a Budget

"Feel gratitude for what you have and for what you are about to receive." 
                                                        ~ Joseph Clough




I am wanting to reduce the amount of money we spend on groceries in our household. I already use a menu plan in conjunction with a shopping list. To help reduce our grocery spending further I am going to:

Do more cooking from scratch. In our household we already do a lot of our cooking from scratch, but there is always room for improvement.  Of course cooking from scratch takes more time, so I am going to be looking for shortcuts like using home-made premixes.


Use more seasonal produce. This will require some adjustment to menus. So I will do some research on what is available seasonally each month. It is too hard to wing it as supermarkets stock fruit and veggies out of season, as you well know.

This will also mean using up the fresh produce and not letting sit in the fridge moldering. So I will need to check the fridge every couple of days to monitor this and discover how I can use up any fresh fruit and veggies. Hmmm more time in the kitchen and less screen time for me.

Buying no name brands, but only when it is produce of Australia.

Adding canned beans or lentils to make dishes go further.

Buying more items in bulk. This slipped last year, but I need to get back to this.


Take time to compare prices as sometimes items on special aren't really the best buy at the time. Some items on special at one supermarket may still be cheaper at Aldi's.

Only buy grated cheese if it is not more expensive than buying blocked cheese and doing the grating myself. Ditto for diced bacon and ham.

Well now I have a plan. I will start putting this into practice and monitor how I am managing.


Do you have any tips for me on how to reduce the grocery budget?

10 comments:

  1. Soups stretch the budget - now that it is winter you can get away with soups rather frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - thanks for that! Soups are a perfect suggestion. My husband prefers a soup with some meat in it, but one only needs a small amount of meat for soup, and it is a good way of using up vegetables.

      Delete
  2. Sheri, I agree that soups are great in winter. Also buying cheaper cuts of meat for the slow cooker helps rather than buying the more expensive cuts. I need to keep persevering with growing veggies as I tend to spend a bit too much at the Farmers Market as I get tempted by all the organically grown produce :-) Not taking my hubby with me would save even more money too.LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am turning my attention to growing more veggies too. I only have sweet potato, spring onions and capsicum growing at the moment. I am planning to plant more veggies next month. (That cold change that the south east has been experiencing arrived here today. Winter at last!)

      Delete
  3. It is definitely soup weather at the moment Sherri. Last week I was given Rhonda's new book as a gift, and just before switching on the computer, had made a list of ingredients needed for her Marrow Bone soup - will make double the recipe and freeze to get myself back on track with stockpiling, which I've been a bit slack with lately. Reading her chapter on June has me all inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed reading Rhonda's book too. In fact I need to go back and read it again.

      Delete
  4. I read the weekly sales flyers and menu plan! I try to make a few "sale" meals per week. We usually roast a chicken or other big dinner and use the leftovers for other meals. Throw in some extra carrots and potatoes because they make good soup thickeners when pureed with broth. Buy a few extra pantry items when they are on sale. Bananas are cheap...when they start to go a bit ripe I make banana bread or frozen yogurt pops with them. Grow herbs! Tiny packages of herbs are so expensive at the store. I make pesto and freeze it in silicone ice cube trays (easier to get out, but regular trays work too). I put the cubes in a zip lock bag and use them in soups and spaghetti sauce. Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn, thank you for all your tips. I especially like the tip on freezing the pesto in silicone ice cube trays. So clever!

      Delete
  5. Using dried beans rather than canned beans is often a very thrifty thing to do. It involves a bit of forethought, but soaking beans the night before and cooking them the next day is very easy. I always cook extra so that I can freeze the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice Laurie, thank you. Cooking extra and freeing the leftovers is a smart thing to do. I will be adding this to my to do list.

      Delete