Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Less Is More

Who strive - you don't know how the others strive
To paint a little thing like that you smeared
Carelessly passing with your robes afloat,-
Yet do much less, so much less, Someone says,
(I know his name, no matter) - so much less!
Well, less is more, Lucrezia.


~Robert Browning
Andrea del Sarto





The phrase 'less is more' is often attributed to the minimalist movement. The ideology behind the expression 'less is more'  is often expressed as simplicity and clarity leads to good design. This got me thinking about simplicity and clarity leading to a good life. People who are attracted to the simple living lifestyle often feel the desire for a hand crafted life. And I am no exception. I want to sew, knit, and crochet beautiful and useful items. I want to not only learn how to grow an abundance of food and manage garden pests, but also how to care for my immediate environment. I want to learn how to preserve as much of our harvest as possible. I want to make do and mend and re-purpose old furniture and other items which means basic carpentry, upholstery and even jewelry making are high on my list of skills to learn. I want to cook everything from scratch in my kitchen.  And yet…., and yet….

I  wonder why   the hours are passing me by without being able to work on this project or start that new project or get to this week's baking and heck,  half the week has gone already.

Well, less is more Lucrezia




I have realised in my desire to escape consumerism and become a producer I have added more and more things that I want to achieve. Hopes, desires, and aspirations are good things in my book.  But as with Rome, I do not have to build my simple life in one day. It is the small steps added together over the days and the years that will see me along my journey.  It has been said that people in general discount the small goals preferring sweeping dramatic goals, however it is the accumulation of small steps that often make more difference than reaching for a large goal.  It is interesting that many people who are interested in the Simple Living movement are also interested in minimalism, recognising that less stuff means less clutter and this can increase happiness. Well I think it is about time to de-clutter my expectations, and take a minimalist approach to my aspirations. Perhaps by narrowing down what I want to achieve at this time to one or two skills, such as finishing my permaculture course and knitting. Perhaps.

Well, less is more, Lucrezia.

4 comments:

  1. Sherri, that is a good idea as you can have so many things on your To Do' or 'To learn' list that you don't get much done at all and it can get frustrating. I love the colours of your yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel, I do think this is the best approach for the present. I bought the yarn last year from Spotlight.

      Delete
  2. That is possibly the most insightful piece of information I have read in a very long time, thankyou.
    I struggle with placing unrealistic expectations on myself to have the 'perfect' simple life, and in reality...what is perfect? There is so much I want to add to our lives, in terms of things I could make, cook, do and so on, but at this moment that is just not possible.
    Today I will focus on what I CAN do, and be happy with that. Declutter your expectations...genius!!
    Thankyou and have a great day
    Cassandra (I came over from DTE forums)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassandra for the lovely compliments!

      Delete