Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Canada Day

I have prepared an arm chair travel to Canada activity program  and I thought I would share it on my blog. It may be of interest to home-schooling mums  or carers.

Canada Day is celebrated on July 1.  



Arm chair travel is a leisure and educational activity used by   not for profit community organisations and schools. The basic premise is being a tourist without leaving home so to speak. The usual activities included in an arm chair travel are a DVD on the country you are visiting, perhaps eating some of the cuisine from the country and discussing the culture.  DVD's can usually be sourced from local libraries.  Though I must admit if I was using this as part of a home schooling lesson for girls I would be using the Anne of Green Gables DVD. Of course this is centred on Prince Edward Island, and not on Canada as a whole but it would be an introduction to a long cherished piece of Canadian literature. The program I prepared includes word games and simple craft activities. The craft activities can be done on the day or in advance if you were wanting to decorate your place for Canada day.

Decorations and Craft activities

There are so many interesting blogs on the web sharing their lovely home-made Canada Day decorations. Some of these blogs include downloadable PDF patterns for bunting  as shown on this great site Botanical Paperworks and other decorating ideas. A Little Pixel is another great site well worth checking out and it has some lovely Canada Day decorations.  

I am also planning on using a template of a maple leaf which can be printed out. Some can be left white and others can be painted in red. These can then be cut out and used as decorations around the place.

Word Games

There are many sites on internet that provide word games. For instance, this link will take you to a Canada anagram word game, a word search and a word mining activity. 

Together we are Canada Poem

This is a great little  poem listing the Canadian states and a bit about them

6 comments:

  1. L.M. Montgomery is a favorite author in our house - the Blue Castle being a particularly loved book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the Blue Castle, but I will keep an eye out for it now. My favourite L.M. Montogomery novel so far is A Tangled Web.

      Delete
  2. I also loved L M Montgomery growing up Sherri. Must be time to revisit these books. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few of her books I have not yet read. A couple of years back I bought a book that was a collection of her 'dark' short stories. I have not yet read the whole collection but what I have read so far haven't been very dark at all, and each story has been a nice little read.

      Delete
  3. I went to Canada in the 1970s when my brother lived there. What a beautiful country it is! My favourite place was Banff. I bought the Anne of Green Gables for my grandchildren recently and I think Miss Six has watched it continually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy on DVD of the Anne of Green Gable mini-series that came out in the 80's, and I will be introducing Anne to my niece through those DVD's once she has finished the current series of Little House on the Prairie that she has been watching.

      Delete