Friday, 1 May 2015

What Sherri Did - April 2015

"…the primal cause of that inconvenient dissatisfaction is the feeling that you are every day leaving undone something which you would like to do, and which, indeed, you are always hoping to do when you have "more time"; 
~ Arnold Bennett





In General


Time has just flown this month. I don't feel like I got much done, hopefully I will do better next month as my energy levels should keep improving. I had my first visit to the hairdresser since my hair has grown back. It was only for a light trim and I had a few very fine foils put through my hair in brown and blonde. I asked for the foils to be subtle and to blend in, as I still haven't made up my mind whether I am going to stay gray or go coloured. I don't really want the bother of having to re-colour every three or four weeks to hide re-growth now that my hair is all gray. I decided that now was a good time to try a new hairdresser and I must say she understood what I asked for and gave me exactly what I wanted. So I was very happy and will go back to her again.

I have my vegetable garden beds set up, filled with soil and ready to go. I added some of my home made compost to the beds. I have planted my zucchini seeds and my tomato seeds as well as some tomato seedlings. I have also planted two strawberry plants.

I have done lots of weeding, and fertilised the citrus and the plum tree (I think it is a plum tree it hasn't fruited as yet)  . Don gave the biggest mango a pruning. We harvested lemons and lots of passionfruit. 

I have been wanting to put an order in with either Diggers or Green Harvest, but haven't had the time this month.




What I have been reading


The Google +Guide by Scott McNulty - I am reading this book as I am thinking about setting up a google+ page. I like  the idea of having circles and being able to share different things with different circles. I also like the idea of hangouts - video chats with people in a circle - I thought it might be a good way of catching up with family and friends. So If you have a Google+ page please let me know what you think the pros and cons are.

Thrift by Samuel Smiles - I am loving this book though I am making my way through it slowly.  I just wish I could find the time to spend more time reading.  At the rate I am reading this book it will be on my reading list for a while.

An Unfinished Marriage by Joan Anderson. This is the third time I have read this book in the last 10 years. Back in February I re-read A Year By the Sea.  It is a candid memoir of an 'unfinished woman'  spending a year living by herself in the family holiday home in Cape Cod. In the second book in the series, An Unfinished Marriage, the author and her husband are rebuilding and re-configuring their lives and their marriage. Both these books are full of gentle wisdom, which is why I enjoy reading them, and have returned to them yet again.

What I have been watching


I found this video on making 'plarn' very interesting. I would like to make some plarn and use it to make a bag for shopping. However that project will have to go to the bottom of a very long list of things I want to make.


Best of the Web

I thought this idea on making your own house numbers from Gentle Joy Homemaker, very lovely.

I also really liked these book slings.

Permaculture studies


I completed and submitted my base site map. I have started the next unit of study in this course and am now looking at appropriate technologies and animals that can be included in our system.




How was your April?


6 comments:

  1. The house numbers look great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Deb I thought the house numbers were really well done. I also saw some house numbers recently in a gift shop that were wrapped in wire which looked really quite striking. They were about $40 a number though, so I think I will be giving those a miss.

      Delete
  2. All things considering it sounds like a very productive April Sherri. About 8 months ago I decided to stop the hair colour. I've eliminated most chemicals from my life and home so I figured, why put them on my head!! I quite fancy being ash blonde one day. Meanwhile the grey is mainly in my fringe and side bits so far and I reckon it's not too bad when you look around at all the weird and wild colours people put in their hair. Just do what makes you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hutchy, I your words about doing what makes me feel good as regards my hair is very sound advice. Yes looking back I suppose April was pretty productive, I spent a lot of time with my studies so other activities missed out a bit though. We have had a wet start to May with 120 ml in our rain gauge today.

      Delete
  3. Well, if this is your version of not getting much done.....! Seems pretty motivated to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, perhaps I have too many aspirations. Today is my baking day and if anyone had seen the list of things I wanted to bake today they would have probably had a good chuckle!

      Delete