Monday, 11 May 2015

The Wisdom of the Women

A wise woman wishes to be no one's enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone's victim.
~Maya Angelou




On Saturday I was privileged to attend a woman's workshop run by Uniting Care Community. The workshop was designed to lead participants in the discovery and exploration of our heart's dreams and desires. It was a small, relaxed gathering consisting of five participants and two workshop leaders.
 The workshop was extra special because my sister and I attended together. With one accord we participants sat around in a circle and created a nourishing, safe space for each other. A place we could open up and each provide a witness to the other; quietly affirming each others struggles and triumphs. 

We practiced mindfulness and the workshop leaders guided us through relaxation and meditation exercises. These activities led group members to individual insights which we were invited to share with the group.

We were led to connect with our inner selves and the values we hold most dear. We were reminded of the importance of the mind/body connection. Our stresses fell away, and we became absorbed in re-discovering our inner vision and direction.

My favourite exercise of the day was where we explored our wise selves. Firstly we entered a relaxed and meditative state. Next we were guided to ask ourselves "Where is my inner wisdom?" We were told to pay attention to where we were directed in our bodies, to where our inner wisdom dwelt. I assumed my wisdom would be in my heart and was surprised to find my hand resting on my throat. We were then told to acknowledge to our selves that "this is my inner wisdom, this is the part of me that knows".  We were told to take notice of images that came to us. I tried to dismiss the first image that came to my mind. The image was my lap top and I judged this image as not being an image of my inner being. Then I felt that the image was relevant as it pictured the access I have to the 'world wide web' within; my inner wisdom, guidance, intuition, and the answers that come to me through prayer. I also saw lots of blue, aquamarine and ultramarine during this meditation. After we came out of our meditative state we wrote a reflection in our workbooks and created a visual representation of our inner wisdom using drawing, words and collage.




This is the second time I have taken this workshop. I took the first back in 2013. At that time I was inspired to write in my workbook the words 'Thrive through thrift.' 

I still have a lot of material in the workbook to complete, and I will do this over the next few weeks. 

I spent Sunday studying permaculture. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.





8 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend the weekend Sherri. I think your inner wisdom must surely have led you to permaculture. Health and spiritual well-being are one of the key domains in Holmgren's "Permaculture Flower", and as necessary to creating a sustainable culture as any of the other design principles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful workshop. It was great to have some dedicated time to turn inward. I think my inner wisdom has been trying to lead me toward permaculture for a long time, but I needed the outer circumstances in my life to change in order to create a space to let permaculture in.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, nice to attend with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Deb, it was nice for my sister and I to have the chance to go out and do something together.

      Delete
  3. hmmmm.....God living within us, as us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 'inner wisdom, the part that knows' is a special connection but I find it can easily be cut or at least muted by the 'cerebral and physiological fear' that you mentioned on Saturday. And of course it is hard to tap into one's inner wisdom when one is busy, busy, busy.

      Delete
  4. Getting here a little late, Sherri. I hope this weekend is going well for you with the beautiful weather we are having although it might be a little windy for you being so close to the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekend was very busy Chel, and it was quite windy,a tree was blown over and crushed part of the fence. The tree was growing on the neighbouring property. Don did a great job of cutting the tree up and repairing the fence, but it wasn't his idea of a relaxing weekend activity.

      Delete