Monday, 25 May 2015

Housework routines - drudgery or a supportive framework?

Creating a home - one with soul, personality and as sense of history - is a journey, rather than a project.
~Wendy Moore





I have been thinking for some time of writing on the topic of housework routines. Why? During the year some of the blogs I follow have written about how they are trying to implement routines. Other blogs have had clean alongs - like Rhonda's pantry challenge earlier this year. Some of the blogs I follow have lamented that we seem to have less time than our grandparents had in their day. All these topics tend to make me think about routines in general and my routines in particular.

I find it particularly interesting when people hark back to the 'good old days'.  I have read a lot of literature from the late 19th century to the mid 20th century, and the themes are the same that we talk about today. Too much stress and worry, not enough time, not enough money, insecurity.  So why do we speak of the 'good old days?" Is it merely nostalgia? 

 Could the reason we  seem to have less time than our grandparents did is because we are spoilt for choice?  All our time saving appliances provide us with more free time, but we have so many more options than our Grandparents had.  And because of this we don't get the chance to slow down, because there is so much more we want to do, be, and have. The lives of our grandparents were simpler, not easier, just more basic. Too, looking back it seems to me they had less, not more, in the way of support than we do today.



What I do know is that women and men of former times  followed routines much more than we do today. In our world we seem to try and fit things in where we can rather than have an established routine. I see a housework routine as a framework upon which the rest of my activities can rest or lean upon. Something that gives me support and provides structure to my day. Sarah Ban Breathnach wrote "We want our lives to feel limitless, so we must learn the art of creating boundaries that protect, nurture and sustain all we cherish." For me having a housework routine is part of creating those boundaries.

Since mentioning last month that I have drawn up a new routine for myself, I have had requests to share my new routine. I will share this new routine in Part II of this post.

4 comments:

  1. I totally SUCK at routines - the rebel in me just stands up and screams "I don't wanna!" - and I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason I always feel like there's not enough time in the day. It's just soooo much more fun to frolic around online at one in the morning than to go to bed like any sensible person would! :-)

    Can't wait to read about your new routine. Maybe there will be something in there that I can work from without feeling like I'm putting myself in prison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason we feel like there are not enough hours in the day is because there are not enough hours in the day. If there were enough hours in the day, we would see adults dragging their feet along the ground and whining "I'm bored", like kids do.

      Delete
  2. Sherri, I can't remember what mum's routine was when I was growing up in the 1950s. We ALWAYS had a roast on Sundays, Monday was washing day, Tuesday was ironing day...can't remember the routine for the rest of the week though. So long ago LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember my mothers routine either, except that everything stopped for Days of Our Lives in the afternoon. She did keep the house spotlessly clean though.

      Delete