Thursday, 26 March 2015

A groovy kind of love


"It is in loving, not being loved, the heart is blessed;
It is in giving, not in seeking gifts we find our quest;
Whatever be your longing or your need, that give;
So shall your soul be fed, and you indeed shall live."





You might remember that back in November I wrote about nourishing ourselves in mind, body and spirit, and that I  listed what feelings I wanted to experience in my life more consistently.  Danielle Laporte describes this succinctly as core desired feelings. The point behind discovering what feelings I want more present in my life is I can use that information to set my goals and make my decisions.  For me this is all about making sure I don't have my ladder up against the wrong wall

My list of essential desired feelings is recorded in my November post. Today I am writing about my core desired feeling, love.



In February I wrote how I was going to include more joy into my life. Writing about what brings me joy was easy, I just had to spend a little time with my memories, thinking back to when I felt joy in my life.  I found it more difficult to work out how to bring more love into my life. I have wonderful people in my life who love me and who I love, so it wasn't love from outside myself I was wanting more experience of. I was stumped. And then I remembered reading early last year an exercise from Louise Hay's book "You can heal your life".  It is a simple exercise called "I love myself" and all it entails is taking a pen and paper and writing "I love myself; therefore" and finishing the sentence in as many ways as possible. In part my list looks like this:

  • I love myself; therefore I speak to myself in kind, upbuilding words
  • I love myself; therefore I allow myself plenty of time to do the things I want to do in the order and manner I choose
  • I love myself; therefore I acknowledge I am responsible for meeting my own needs and wants and other people are responsible for meeting their own needs and wants
  • I love myself; therefore I think in a loving positive way about others knowing what I measure out will come back to me tenfold.
  • I love myself; therefore I take time to listen to my favourite music
  • I love myself; therefore I dress in clothes I feel good wearing
  • I love myself; therefore I practice thinking deliberately and feeling deliberately
  • I love myself; therefore when I am feeling and thinking negatively I reach for a better feeling thought
  • I love myself; therefore I let my higher self and God handle my life for me and I remain receptive to their guidance
  • I love myself; therefore I listen to my bodies needs and treat my body with dignity and love
  • I love myself; therefore I acknowledge that when I change the way I look at things, the things I look at change.
  • I love myself; therefore I welcome order into my life
  • I love myself therefore I create a life I love to look at



 I will write the next post in this series in a few weeks time, when I will be looking at playfulness. 

8 comments:

  1. interesting, they say we need to love ourselves before we can truly love others, on this i'm always arguing with myself
    good post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed say that. I think it is important to have a positive self-regard, but I think most people have trouble maintaining it all the time.

      Delete
  2. It took me a while to do many of the things that you do to love yourself. This is a very interesting concept. Women tend to be such givers that often we forget to take care of our own needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of taking care of one's own needs is like filling the car with petrol/gas. If one forgets to 'fill the tank' then eventually they will run out of fuel and come to a standstill. Sometimes I remember to fuel up and sometimes I come to a standstill. But when I am at a standstill it gives me the opportunity to review and "apply self regulation and accept feedback." :-)

      Delete
  3. A thought provoking post, Sherri. Something to chew over this weekend. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. I hope the weather is cooler over your way. We had some rain last night but it hasn't seemed to cool things down much. It is 29 degrees in the house this morning and the humidity is around 65%.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this Sherri. I also have Louise Hay's beautiful book and it has helped me through a few challenging moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very helpful book. I worked at a women's crisis centre many years ago and it was part of the library there too.

      Delete