Monday, 23 February 2015

Our New Front Fence

"So they all went away from the little log house. The shutters were over the windows, so the little house could not see them go. It stayed there inside the log fence, behind the two big oak trees that in the summertime had made green roofs for Mary and Laura to play under."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Friday's cyclone became a low somewhere north west of us. We experienced some gusty winds and some rain. However many people are unable to return to their homes due to damage. South East Queensland continued to receive heavy rain over the weekend. We hope that things return to normal as quickly as possible for those people affected.



Chloe inspecting the supplies


I thought I would post some pictures today of the front fence that Don and our neighbour built last month here at Amblein (pronounced Amble in). Our neighbour is a concreter and earthmover and also does some work as a fencing contractor. So we hired him to put up our front fence and Don worked as his offsider to help keep the labour costs down. 



Don's a dentist so I can't show his face on the internet. :-)


The work was done over a few extremely hot weekends. Don lost about 5 kilo's in the process. Sadly, I think I found his lost kilo's. 





Just like with the  Cricket, the guys experienced rain delays. But they got back to work as soon as the heavy rain had passed. 


The gate was a Christmas present from our neighbours.


 And the finished fence.






10 comments:

  1. That was the saddest part of the LIW series - after all that hard work Ma and Pa put into that little place. Your fence looks very sturdy - it will be there for generations to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my niece came to stay one weekend last month I introduced her to the Little House on the Prairie TV series. I said she would find lots of differences in the Ingall girls lifestyle and schooling to what she experiences. She was captivated by the show, which was nice as it was a favourite of mine when I was a kid and it was nice to share it with her. I have the books also, and when I can bear to part with them I will pass them on to her too.

      Delete
  2. I should buy the DVDs for my granddaughters, Sherri. I just bought them the Anne of Green Gables series which they love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love Anne of Green Gables? I was a teenager when the mini-series with Megan Followes and Colleen Dewhurst came out and I was captivated. I have the DVD's and look forward to sharing these with my niece as well.

      Delete
  3. i used to watch that show though i never saw the end of it, didn't even know there was a book, wouldn't mind reading that, might have to find it.
    your fence looks great
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina there are eight books in the Little House series. I picked up my copies in the children's section of a second hand book store, but they could be available in your local library.

      Delete
  4. Your fence looks strong and sturdy. A fence makes such a difference in how a home feels. I love the Little House books. I have them all and also am collecting a set for each of my sons and my daughter. My boys can take them with them when they marry to pass on to their children one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front fence does give a different feel to the place, but it is hard to define. The Little House books are terrific aren't they? So many of the novels I read as a youngster remain special to me, including the Katy series by Susan Coolidge, and Anne of Green Gables, the Billabong Series (Aussie novels written in the first half of last century) and the Narnia series. My favourite childhood novel though was Louisa May Alcott's "Eight Cousins".

      Delete
  5. Looks fantastic. Keeps your dogs in and others out. My favourite book and then movie was 'Little Women'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I loved Little Women too. I read it a few times when I was young and I always cried when I got to the part where Beth died. I watched the 1949 Little Women movie on TV recently.

      Delete