Thursday, 15 January 2015

What's your type?

"Try to live an authentic life that feels true to yourself - which means living as yourself, not an imitation of anyone else, and the reflection of yourself in anyone else's eyes."
~ Maria Shriver


Have you ever done those quizzes in magazines that are supposed to reveal your personality type? I enjoy them  but they rarely reveal any insights about who I am or why I think and behave the way I do. However some years ago I found the Myers Briggs Type Indicator or MBTI and I found it really helpful. Why? Because for the first time ever I discovered I was an introvert. Now like many people I thought being introverted just meant being shy. Some dictionaries still define introverted as being shy. Here is a good definition from the Urban dictionary, it emphasises that introversion does not equal shyness. In fact there are people who are extroverted and shy.  

This is a link to "11 comics every introvert will understand", for those of you who are interested in the subject.

If you are an introvert you may also find this article and this article interesting. 

"No Stop!  - I told you I was the no shampoo type".
I digressed a bit from personality typing to writing about introversion, but it seems to me that introverts are well represented in 'blog land', so the digression may be of interest to some.

Anyway, it can be fun to discover more about yourself by taking an MBTI quizz. This is a link to one site. And this is a link to a different site, and there are many more on the internet to choose from.


I am an INFJ.  Did you try any of the quizzes? What's your type? 

7 comments:

  1. I am an ISFJ. Yep, did the quiz. You sparked my curiosity. It says "You are one of the Sentinels - a reliable and dedicated individual who respects traditions and prizes responsibility. You are known for your caring nature, attention to detail and quiet dedication." Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to do the quizz and find out your personality type. I found it good for identifying my strengths and weaknesses (or just for reminding me of my strengths because we all find it hard to recall our strengths at times) and explaining how I operate in the world. Now you can just type ISFJ into your search engine and you will find there will be hundreds of results giving you more information. - I had to fix the link to the second quizz site as I had it slightly wrong. It should be fixed now.

      Delete
  2. mmm an interesting quizz, can never understand how they get these results or the questions they ask, it's hard as i don't really know myself that well, at least i don't think i do. tried to answer as best i could & got the results according to the 16personalitiestest site; i am a ISFP, not totally accurate as this "You are one of the Explorers - a bold and freedom-loving individual who enjoys pushing the limits and exploring the unknown." is not me at all but the rest of what i've read is pretty close to it
    very interesting post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I meant to amend my comment above and deleted it instead, So here goes again.
      Selina, this site http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFP.html names the ISFP as "The Artist". If you do a google search on ISFP you will find that there is a lot of information out there. Different sites explain the personality types in different terms. One site characterises INFJ as diplomats. I just asked my husband if he saw me as being diplomatic and he said, "No, argumentative." :-0

      Delete
  3. I'm the same! INFJ. I read that this personality is very rare, less than 1% of the population. Wow - we are special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jayne, I too have read that INFJ are less than 1% of the population. I have to wonder at times if most of that 1% are not hanging around in the blogosphere. What better place to gain information, exchange ideas and help others in the areas that really matter to us.

      Delete