Thursday, 22 January 2015

Op shop til you drop

I believe that thrift is essential to well-ordered living.
~John D. Rockefeller


Last Friday I had to go into town for a blood test. So being in town it was a good chance to complete a couple of other errands. First I went to Big W and spent a gift card I received at Christmas. This is what I bought.




Obviously if you can never have enough books, then you can never have enough book ends. The other thing I bought using my gift card was, drum roll...........that's right, a 12.5 litre capacity container for bulk food storage in my pantry. 

I am currently following along with Annabel's (The Blue Birds are Nesting) preparedness challenge. This is the link to the first post in Annabel's preparedness series. Buying staple food in larger quantities is something I have wanted to do for a long time. But it kept getting pushed down the priority list as other things cropped up. So now I am using Annabel's challenge as my source of motivation to slowly build my pantry stores.  


Big W also had a really good special on washing powder so I bought a bulk supply of that as well, 15 kilos. So that should last a while. Then off to the hospital for a coffee, ....and then my blood test. 

Back in the car outside the hospital, my husband said, "Where to next?," and we agreed that it had been a long time since we had been op shopping. We decided to go to the Guide Dogs for the blind op shop. We bought four of  these bar stools.



We have been looking for some bar stools for a while. We were happy to see that we could buy these four for around the same price we would pay for one new one. They just need new fabric on the seats. It will probably take me a  while to find the time to re-cover the seats but I will try to remember to take a photo when I do. Unless of course I muck it up and in that case we'll never mention it again, ok? ;-)

I also bought four books and only paid $2 for the lot.  These are two of the titles I bought. I am hoping that "Cooking for the Freezer" will help me improve my food storing skills. This will mean reducing food wastage. Again, Annabel's blog has been a great source of information for me on using food on hand and dealing with gluts. 




I bought the microwave cookbook because I have never had one and thought it was high time I used my microwave for more than re-heating food.

Of course we were out and about on one of the hottest days of summer so far. Whilst at the op shop I had to keep plodding back to stand in front of one of their industrial fans. The last couple of days have been much cooler here, and for this I am very grateful.

Do you ever shop at charity stores?

8 comments:

  1. We are big op shoppers, furniture, beautiful crystal and glassware, unused yarns and bolts of material, oh and books, books, books....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Op shopping is fun isn't it? I love how thrifty I can be at second hand shops. My favourite furniture find of the last couple of years was a red laminex top dining table. I made our kitchen curtains from an op shop broderie anglaise quilt cover that I found at a thrift shop. At the time I could not find broderie anglaise at the fabric stores so it was op shop to the rescue. And as I am not allowed to buy any more desks - even if they have lots of drawers and pigeonholes, I will redirect my attention away from the desks to the craft and sewing supplies when I am out op shopping in future.

      Delete
  2. I love thrifting..perhaps a little too much. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited another charity shop today and a second hand shop. The second hand shop was new to me and it has lots of second hand tools and some gardening gear. So I bought a light garden hoe, I have been wanting a lighter one for some time, - and I saved quite a bit of money buying it second hand rather than new.

      Delete
  3. Recovering stools is not so difficult. Remove the base from the frame and go from there. A good staple gun is a wonderful tool for this job. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I was thinking if I had any problems with recovering the stools I would try you tube and see if there were any "how to" videos. It will probably take a while for my husband and I to decide on the material to use to cover the seats.

      Delete
  4. what a great find, those stools will last you quite awhile, love wooden furniture & they look pretty solid. look forward to seeing what you cover them with
    yes, i like to browse the op/thrift shops too, you never know when you will pick up a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri, all our furniture pretty well is second hand from Op Shops or Garage Sales apart from our bed. My husband could live on the smell of an oil rag!

    ReplyDelete