Monday, 26 January 2015

Core of my heart, my country!

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

~ My country, Dorothea Mackellar


As Aussies know, Australia day holiday is a day to come together and celebrate our country and culture. 

Our culture could be defined as the ideas, customs, and social behaviours that are particular to us Aussies. This definition is painted with a broad brushstroke. The patterns in the mosaic that make up our culture are endless. 

However we typically identify ourselves as having a relaxed and informal lifestyle. Which is ironic as our lives generally revolve around rushing to work, rushing through work, rushing home and then rushing around home to get things done. No wonder we like to relax a bit on Australia Day.



What do you appreciate most about being an Aussie? For me, Australian humour, is the best feature of our culture.  Would you agree? Australian humour is often characterised as dry and ironic and at times irreverent.  We Aussies are also good at having a laugh at ourselves. However you might think that it is our battler spirit, or our spirit of mateship or the Aussie "fair go", that is the best thing about our Aussie culture. No worries mate. There's a lot of things to appreciate about being an Aussie.

 For me Australia Day is a time to appreciate the good I have in my life. 

This Australia Day my husband and I are planning a nice Australia Day Brunch and inviting family and a few friends to join us. If you are an Aussie how are you planning to spend Australia Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment