Monday, 8 December 2014

Rainy Weekend

"Into each life some rain must fall."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


On Saturday we received 86 ml, which
I think is just over 3 inches,

Blessed rain. It started falling early Saturday morning, I am not sure of the exact time but it was around 6 a.m. It rained all day and we had some storms as well. 


This is one of the points where the rain runs into our dam.

Our power went out for a while in the morning. Hubby had been mowing the day before and had used all the petrol so we didn't have any to run the generator. We were expecting my sister and niece to arrive later that morning. As we are not on town water we rely on an electric driven water pump for taps and toilet. So off we went to the petrol station to fill the jerrycan. The petrol station is about 14 km (about 8.6 miles) away.  By the time we got home the power was back on. 


The water runs from the front of our property along  the driveway,
down to the dam which is near our back fence. To the right  of our driveway
are the driveways of the three neighbouring properties.
My sister and niece were spending the day with us to celebrate an early Christmas, as they could not be with us on Christmas day. We had a lovely time together and the earlier storms had cooled the hot summer weather.  Renese, my niece had to borrow a flanno (flannelette shirt) from my husband's wardrobe as she became cold. 


Water running into the dam

On Sunday we were sitting having a morning coffee by our dam when our neighbours drove down their driveway and then up our driveway. They were going to visit some plant nurseries and did we want to go with them? You betcha! Following a short mad scramble to get ready we headed off and spent the morning plant shopping.


Our dam is now full following Saturday's rain.

The list of plants I need for my garden is endless. However my priority at the moment is for pink callistemon, photinia, liriope and pigface. Not that I am intending to plant out all these plants at the one time. So for Sunday's shopping trip I was satisfied with the purchase of three pink callistemon. Once these new plants are well established I will move on to the others on the list. My neighbours purchased a grape, strawberry plants and a paw paw. So it was a great weekend all round. How was your weekend? 











2 comments:

  1. It was pretty warm for a winter weekend here in south Georgia. The highs were in the 70's and 60's. We fenced off some pasture to keep the ponies from overgrazing them over the winter and installed new hay bags for them as well. Yesterday, I and two of my three children visited with my mom. It was really good to see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you had a perfectly balanced weekend Brittany, getting some work done and then going visiting. I bet your mum enjoyed your visit.

      Delete