Monday, 24 November 2014

Undernourished?

"The body must be nourished, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We're spiritually starved in this culture - not underfed but undernourished" Carol Hornig

What nourishes you? What restores your spirit? Do you find it hard to find the time to nourish yourself? I know I do.  In this blog I want to include things that I discover that nourish my mind, body and spirit.  I hope in your comments you will write what nourishes and upholds you in your day to day life, because it might be what I need to include in my life too!

Rower on the Brisbane river at sunrise

The basic meaning of the word nourish is to provide with food or other substances necessary for life and growth. This meaning of the word nourish is all about meeting the physical needs of our bodies. In the future I hope to explore information and ideas that may help with this.

But there is more to nourish than just meeting our physical needs. What about the times we nourish a hope? When we make an effort to think deliberately to "feed" our dreams and desires?  I think it might be fun to look at the many ways to nourish one’s spirt. I have no doubt there many are tools and strategies to explore and some will be useful.  I find I focus very much on the things I have to do, and I rarely stop to celebrate what I have done. Even when it is something fairly major. This is something I want to change, I want to make sure I take the time to celebrate - including the small things.


View from the lookout near Cooran


What about nourishing one's mind? How much time is spent in worry, anger, fear and resentment? How much of the time do people today feel anxiety, rushing and trying to get "it" all done? Instead of beating ourselves up with an endless list of goals and to do lists we can, as speaker and author Danielle LaPorte suggests, get clear "on how we actually wanted to feel in our life" and then set our intentions. She writes "What if your most desired feelings consciously informed how you plan your day, your year, your career, your holidays - even your life" If you find this idea intriguing (I certainly did) you can find her website here.

  I have decided in my life I want to feel more; love, joy, secure, prosperous, serene, connected, playful, adventurous, energised, festive, fulfilled, strong, engaged, blessed, nourished, thriving, centred, clear, and empowered. I will let you know how I get on.



How do you want to feel in your life?

4 comments:

  1. I think you make some really good points. There are things we can't change, but we can change our attitude to them. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly so, there are some things we face that we can’t control, like an illness for example where sometimes the only thing we have within our control is our attitude toward the situation, and sometimes this can be enough to bring a sense of relief from anxiety and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get recharged at church and a good hot bath with a good book works wonders. Watching my animals and seeing how they have no worries for the day ahead is also a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I am not a church attender, I know it is a great way of nourishing one’s mind and spirit and can be very uplifting. I own a CD of Affirmations from Silent Unity which I find very beneficial. I also from time to time read books by authors such as Norman Vincent Peale, Eric Butterworth, Wayne Dyer, Marianne Williamson and others that I find nourish my spirit. But of course I realise that does not substitute for a community of like-minded individuals such as you have in a congregation. You’re so right, baths are great for recharging, especially when using bath oils and an inflatable bath pillow. Animals are an unlimited source of pleasure and such a good source of entertainment. It even me happy when I watch my dog while she is sleeping – in summer she likes to sleep on her back, she looks so funny.

      Delete